The Malaysian Government has announced that Service Tax at 6% is replacing Goods and Services Tax (GST) currently at zero percent (0%). This is effective 1 September 2018 onwards.
How am I affected?
Provision of telecommunication services by telco provider to end users are subjected to Service Tax. However, prepaid top-ups for Malaysians are exempted from this.
- If you’re a Malaysian, you do not need to pay for 6% SST on your top-ups. Eg: Top up ticket of RM10 will give you RM 10 credit
- Registration & renewal of Ookyo plan and SIM card replacements are currently applicable to 6% SST. You will receive a tax invoice to your registered email.
Are there any rebates or promotions?
Service Tax rebate is NOT prescribed by Ministry of Finance; hence there will be NO Service Tax rebates.
To ease you into this change in the month of September, your top-up will enjoy special rebate in FREE minutes for calls to Maxis, Hotlink, and Ookyo.
- Promo period: 1 - 30 September 2018
- Eligibility: For top-up into plans registered to Malaysian IDs only. Your plan needs to be in Active state and have credit balance in your ookyo wallet
- Type of top-up: Top up tickets, reload by dealer, top up from internet banking and kiosk
- How to claim: Within 24 hours of upon successful top you will receive a SMS to inform you to redeem your FREE minutes. Follow the steps.
- Validity of FREE minutes: 2 days inclusive of the day which the minutes are credited to your account